Sunday, February 19, 2012

Rick Santorum on Prenatal Testing, Abortion, and My Experience with Both

Presidential candidate Rick Santorum appeared on CBS's "Face the Nation" on February 19, 2012 to defend a controversial claim that free prenatal screening increases the number of abortions and consequently helps reduce health care costs.  He specifically mentioned that such screening leads to abortions of disabled children, including those with Down's syndrome.  Mr. Santorum has a daughter named Bella who has a a genetic disorder called Trisomy 18.


I'm willing to bet that Rick Santorum will be vilified by the media for his claims, but I can personally attest that his claims are true and that abortion is encouraged even when test results are not 100% accurate..

With our first daughter, our OB/GYN recommended the usual battery of tests including one called AFP (alpha fetoprotien).  A short time later, we heard that the AFP test results were "positive" and we were encouraged to meet with a genetic counselor.  The counselor told us that, based on the test result, it was possible that our child would be born with debilitating spinal bifida.  We were told about the immense costs we would likely personally incur to care for such a child, not to mention the great emotional heartache.  My wife was in tears for quite some time.  Naturally, abortion was the first option offered by the counselor.

My wife and I are personally opposed to abortion but the meeting really tested my personal faith and values.  I mean, if abortion is the recommended course of action by a health care professional, then the outcome must be foreordained, right? After much soul-searching, prayer, and tears, my wife and I both emphatically agreed that we would have our child, regardless of the test results.  My wife recollects that we even had to sign papers to that fact before discussing the matter further with the counselor.

As an engineer and professional skeptic, I questioned the AFP test and the accuracy of the results.  I later found out that the AFP test has a very high false positive rate.  It is meant as a screening test to trigger additional testing, which I found odd because abortion was the first recommended course of action.  We refused abortion so the next recommended course of action was an amniocentesis procedure.  After additional research, I discovered that amniocentesis itself had a higher probability of causing a miscarriage and thereby killing our daughter than the probability that our positive AFP test would be confirmed as a positive by the amniocentesis, indicating that she really might have spinal bifida.

Again, we refused the amniocentesis procedure and opted for a more-accurate level-2 ultrasound.  Although not foolproof, the level-2 ultrasound showed no signs of spinal bifida..

Fortunately, our daughter was born beautiful, happy, and healthy.  In fact, our little supposed "genetic deformity" earns straight A's in school and even won a first place ribbon at the county science fair a few years ago.  Her only disability is the complete inability to pick up her room--which she inherited from her father.

A friend of the family is a nurse.  She found out that she was pregnant at 41.  Because of her age and because she already had children, she was recommended to have an abortion to avoid the possibility of having a Down's child.  Fortunately, her youngest is also completely healthy.

Here in California, I believe that there are indeed financial incentives for the state to provide AFP screening tests due to the high cost of POSSIBLY caring for disabled children.  I can understand this, but the tests must be accurate!

How many prospective parents know that high false positive rate?  How many prospective parents ever questioned the health care system's recommendations?  How many compare the risks and rewards of various treatment options based on scientific facts?  How many perfectly healthy children were unnecessarily aborted because of a POSSIBLE negative outcome?

I believe Rick Santorum is right on this one, but this will be spun out of control by the media and some on the Left.

See also ...

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your story. I had a positive AFP test on my first daughter. When we sought after a level-2 ultrasound, they found she had multiple birth defects, and the first course of action offered was an abortion. At 22 weeks pregnant, I looked the doctor in the eye and asked "Are you serious?" Needless to say, we did not procede and refused genetic counseling with my second. My now 9 year old is in the gifted program, and though she faced surgery at 3 days old and again at 9 months, she reminds me everyday of God's greatest gift to us all.

    ReplyDelete